Friday, September 7, 2012

Giving while paying off debt

Many people, including myself at one point in time, would think it counterintuitive to give money away when you are trying to pay off debt.  And, I can totally see the rationality of that statement.  But, as a Christian, I learned a long time ago that God can sometimes ask us to do some pretty irrational things!  Years ago, as new Christians, the hubby and I decided to tithe (that is give 10% of our income, pre tax to the Church).  Yikes!  I know some of you just about keeled over after reading that! :)

We had read the following verse and took God at his word.

Malachi 3:10
Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.”

Now, I absolutely understand that tithing is NOT a requirement.  But, there is major blessing when you follow God's principles.  No one can convince me otherwise because we lived it.  We had front row and center seats to watching God provide for our family.  I could go on for hours about the time my hubby lost his job due to the economy.  How I was pregnant with our 3rd child and y'all know when you lose a job, you lose not only income, but health insurance too!  With a mortgage we couldn't pay anymore, 2 small children and one on the way, no health insurance, and no job...we were right where God needed us before he could "Show Off" for us.  That's my term for it.  He just showed up big time!  And without going into all the details (which I would love to do, but there were just so many), I will say we had every.single.need of ours met.  Usually right at the last minute, but that's what makes these stories even more exciting. 

I could go on and on about how God provided every.single.cent we needed for the adoption of our 4th sweet child.  We prayed that we could pay for the adoption without incurring any debt...and guess what?  We started the adoption process in January 2011 and brought her home 10 months later in November 2011...zero debt!  Wow!  I am sure y'all are very familiar with the cost of adoption.  It's not inexpensive.  So, to walk away with out any debt...now that's a major blessing!

And, I will tell you...we never stopped giving our tithe or giving to other organizations close to our hearts.  Never.  Not when we were unemployed.  Not when we didn't know how we were going to pay for the next medical bill.  Not when we were in the adoption process and could have really used that money for adoption fees.  Never have we stopped.  And, Lord willing, we never will.  We have seen "the floodgates of heaven pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it" in our lives. 

I hope this post is encouraging to you.  I still can struggle with giving, hey I AM human.  But, each time I struggle with giving, I am reminded of ALL that's been provided for me. 

So, as we continue to work off this car debt and house debt, we will continue to give and give some more.  And I have no doubt that if we do our part, God will bless this journey and we will have another amazing story to tell our children and grandchildren about God's provision. 


1 comment:

  1. Would love to know how your no spending in Sept went praying you get your car PAYED off by May. I totally BELIEVE you can. Will be praying you do. Blessings Anne Do you have any great tips for groceries and food tips. That is the one that is really hard for me. I dont shop clothes unless cheap and thrift store my problem is food. IT blows my budget up. Blessings Anne

    ReplyDelete