Monday, September 3, 2012

Homemade Bread


So, in my attempt to save money.  I have decided to bake my own bread this entire month.  On average, for our family of 6,  I spend about $7.00 a week for just sandwich bread.  I also buy hotdog buns, hamburger buns and English Muffins.  So, I bet I spend close to $15 a week on just bread products.  That's $60 a month on just bread!  If I make my own bread and my own hamburger buns and I cut out hotdog buns all together...I think that's a sizable savings!  And, of course, anything I save in groceries is going towards the additional car payment I want to pay this month.  Of course it's not really $60 savings each month because I do need to buy the ingredients for the bread.  However, even if I am only saving half...so $30 a month, it is still a better investment in our family's health.  I have made 2 different bread recipes.  I really liked the first recipe found here.  And this is the recipe I made today.  I haven't tasted it yet, because it is still in the rising phase.  But, the reviews were 5 star.   It does take a little time to get used to making time for bread baking, but I really enjoy cooking so this isn't a deal breaker for me.  So far the kids haven't complained much.  Like everything new, the kids will have to adjust.  But, this mama is sticking to my no spend September month and if this helps pay off the car one day earlier...then it's totally worth it!  Let me know if you have any fun ideas for me to save money.  I would love to hear your tried and true tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment